Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Year Ago Today!

On this day exactly a year ago, Mark and I met Ana for the first time. The waiting and wondering were finally over. We were officially a family and we finally had Ana in our arms forever. Now as I look back, I still get butterflies when I look at the video or pictures from that day. I remember it all so clearly. Our phone rang at 8:00 a.m. and the voice on the other end let us know that "the baby was here." We met Ana on the couch in the lobby of the Marriott. There she was, chubby, smiling, and in clothes that were two sizes too small. We didn't care, to us she was just what we had been waiting for all of these months. We couldn't wait to hold her and love her. I can't imagine doing anything differently or changing a thing. I thank God for Ana every day. I thank God that her mother had the courage to make the right choice and give her life, even though we know she was scared. I can't begin to imagine not adopting her. What an honor to be her mother and father and what an honor to get chosen by God to get her as our little girl, she is just so special.

It's funny, the day we were matched with Ana, my coordinator and I talked on the phone for a while. I remember her saying a lot of people want to adopt a baby to try and "save" them from the harsh life they may otherwise face. Yes, I wanted a baby but I did think in a way I was "saving" Ana. By the end of all of this, I couldn't be more wrong. I think she has saved us. Ana has given Mark and I a family, hope, inspiration, and the ability to see life in a whole different way. She is the joy of our lives. She is what keeps us going when we are tired, cranky, or sad. She is light of our lives and I thank God she belongs to us!

~ Legacy Of An Adopted Child ~
Once there were two women who never knew each other.
One you do not remember, the other you call mother.
Two different lives shaped to make yours one,
One became your guiding star,the other became your sun.
One gave you your life, the other taught you to live it,
One gave you a need for love, the other was there to give it.
One gave you a nationality, the other gave you a name,
One gave you the seeds of talent, the other gave you aim.
One gave you emotions,the other calmed your fears,
One saw your first sweet smile, the other dried your tears.
One sought for you a home that she could not provide,
The other longed for a child, her prayers were not denied.
You were born from caring courage, nurtured with help from above,
You are the blending my darling of two different kinds of love.





6 comments:

Lou said...

Happy anniversary!!! Can you believe a year has gone by?
Lou
Mama to Onnolee who also has a first "anniversary" this month

Jack said...

Nicole,
What a journey it is and trust me the time flies by. We celebrated our 2 year meeting this month too! Enjoy they grow too fast :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Mark, Nicole and Ana,

We cannot believe a year has passed since we were given the gift of Ana. A little face that we fell in love with over a computer screen...love that blossomed and consumed our souls. We will never forget the "first" time we saw your face in person and learned that our family circle was complete.
We love you Ana and Thank God every day for your life blessing our lives in more ways than you will ever know.
God had a very special plan when He created YOU and we are so grateful that we are part of the plan. Happy One Year Anniversary and may your family continue to grow through God's precious love.

Aunt Tyna, Uncle Bob and Vinny

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOU! Hard to
believe it has been a year. You have made so many people happy. Thank God that you have Ana and she
has such great parents. Ana is such a joy to watch (even though
it is on the computer.)
Love you,
Aunt Rosie
Uncle Tim

Anonymous said...

Thank you, God, for our gift...Thank you, Mark and Nicole for your faith...We love you, Ana. Uncle Mike, Aunt Kris, AJ, Julia and Dom

Margaret mom to Peter, and waiting for his sister said...

Wow, time sure does fly by. She is absolutely adorable.

margaret